EPNA March 5, 2020 meeting minutes
Meeting called to order at 6:30 PM.
Welcome and introductions.
Approval of February meeting minutes:
- Motion made, seconded, and passed to approve the meeting minutes.
Update on 3040-3046 Commercial Avenue:
- Presentation by Paul from the Gregg Shimanski group. They revised the plans and will have fewer buildings with more open space. There will be some 8 unit rental buildings with studios and 1 bedrooms, a 4 unit with 2 bedrooms, and a common building with bike storage, bike wash, dog wash, and a fitness area. They have submitted a land use application and will be at the planning meeting April 27th, urban design commission on April 15, and in front of the common council May 5. They hope to start construction by the end of May. EPNA members expressed satisfaction with the plan and expressed their appreciation for the Gregg Shimanski group reaching out to keep EPNA updated.
- The neighborhood association now has a blog site which will be the main source for all things EPNA. The address is ekenpark.blog and there is a link to it from the website ekenpark.org. Ekenpark.org will have basic information but will not be regularly updated. People can sign up to subscribe to the blog via a tab at the bottom of the page for ekenpark.blog. This is the place where meeting agendas, minutes, and information such as events will be posted.
Alder Syed Abbas’ update:
- Oscar Mayer Special Area Plan: Now that the plan has been presented to the city council it is very important that residents show up to the different committees to express their opinions. If you cannot attend, send an email. The transportation committee covers the proposed Coolidge Street/Packers Avenue intersection, bike paths, and bus rapid transit. The urban design committee covers zoning and the overall design. Other committees that will be involved are the plan commission, sustainability committee (covers the Hartmeyer Natural Area), and housing committee.
- The plastic straw resolution was passed by the Common Council.
- Alder Abbas has introduced a resolution about the Kashmir, India conflict and an electric vehicle charging ordinance. He will be presenting a resolution opposing the F35s now that the final Environmental Impact Statement has been released.
- To sign up for Alder Abbas’ blog updates, go to: cityofmadison.com/council/district12/blog
Eken Park resident Omar spoke about upcoming events in the neighborhood for residents to assist in opposing the F35s. On Saturday, March 14th there will be a community speak out event at Bashford from 1 to 4 PM. On Saturday, March 21st there will be a water walk starting at 1 PM from the Bashford church.
- Festival committee: There will not be a raffle at the fest this year, but there will be pre-fest fundraising fun events such as bingo, a beer raffle, and a concert at the North Street Cabaret. They presented a budget for the festival.
- People are encouraged to join committees. You do need to be a member to join, but you do not have to attend the membership meetings. The two standing committees are Greenspace and Festival. The two ad hoc committees are Voucher and Gateway.
- The Union Corners Brewery will host a community brew event for Eken Park. During this event they will create a pale ale which will be on tap at the festival!
- Syed recommended that the letter from EPNA opposing the F35s be more strongly worded.
- There will be a spring egg hunt/Eken egg hunt for children the day before Easter in Washington Manor Park.
- Soccer Tuesdays for kids will be held again at Eken Park (the actual city park) 6:30 to 7:30 from mid-July until August 18th. This is free, drop-in soccer for kids age 6 to 12.
- Charlie is working on setting up an Eken Park neighborhood Mallards Baseball night. This will probably take place on a Thursday in June.
- Zach is looking for volunteers to help with or lead a bike to work week event during the first week of June.
- The Earth Day spring clean up will be in April, most likely in conjunction with the city’s on April 25.
Motion to adjourn was made, seconded, and approved.
Meeting adjourned at 7:30 PM.