EPNA October 1, 2020 meeting minutes
Meeting called to order at 6:30 PM via Zoom.
Welcome and introductions.
Alder Abbas’ updates:
- Negotiations with Kwik Trip are close to completion. This is to extend the bicycle path from Demetral Park past the OM Tiny Houses.
- Northside Planning Council will be holding a public meeting on October 16 about the city’s planned purchase of 15 acres of OM property for a bus barn.
- City staff will be holding a public meeting sometime in November about the bus barn as well. One of the alder’s concerns about OM is the contamination problems in the area planned for low income housing.
- The operational budget for the city is due to be released to the public October 11 or 13
- Alder Abbas has received lots of requests to defund the police and he had a brief discussion of what things are and are not possible for the city council to do.
- Sign up for Alder Abbas’ blog for updates on local concerns at: https://www.cityofmadison.com/council/district12/blog/
Approval of September meeting minutes:
- Motion made, seconded, and passed to approve the meeting minutes for September.
- The annual Halloween contest between Eken Park and Emerson East neighborhoods has been changed to a competitive food drive for Bashford Church’s food pantry. Bashford will be providing a list of needed items that will be sent out in a week or so. The pickup of items for the contest is tentatively planned to be the week around Thanksgiving.
- Tuesday picnics in Washington Manor park will continue until stopped by snow and cold. Show up, socially distance, and meet neighbors at 5PM or later.
- The butterflies made by local artist Erika (acmeironworks.biz) are being installed at the intersection of East Johnson and East Washington. Additional names suggested for the butterflies: William (from Gov. William Hoard & Hoard St.), Gaylord (Nelson), and Doc (as in Dr. Evermore who Erika apprenticed under).
- Reminder that there are two $100 “baskets” of $25 gift cards for local businesses that will be drawn at November’s meeting. Renewed memberships get one entry into the drawing, new memberships get two entries into the random drawing.
- Next month’s meeting includes election of officers: co-chair, treasurer, and secretary. You must be paid up on your membership to vote. EPNA is looking for people to run for these offices – you can put your name on the list at or before November’s meeting.
- Greenspace Committee has fall bulbs for planting. Will be looking for volunteers to help sometime at the end of October or beginning of November. Request from member to rearrange the plantings at the butterfly garden across from the Tip Top so that they do not cover up the Eken Park sign.
- Budget update: very few expenses this year; the Eken “Parked” Fest almost broke even.
- Narik from Urban Land Interests gave an update on the Ella’s Deli location project. Construction will begin December-ish and really ramp up in the spring. Krupp is the general contractor. They are looking for designs for the mural which will cover the East Washington Avenue side of the building. Someone bought the KFC property – Narik does not know who it was.
- Mark F. will present the updated EPNA logo at next month’s meeting.
- Julia thanked those who contacted the city about traffic problems on E. Washington which resulted in the speed limit being lowered and has helped.
Motion to adjourn was made, seconded, and approved.
Meeting adjourned at 7:15 PM.