Meeting called to order at 6:32 PM via Zoom.
Welcome and introductions.
Approval of October meeting minutes:
- Motion made, seconded, and passed to approve the meeting minutes for October.
- Update on the annual Halloween contest between Eken Park and Emerson East neighborhoods: Eken Park lost to Emerson East, but the true winner was the Bashford food pantry which received about 1,000 items. The majority were items that they specifically requested. Discussion held about doing the same competition next year. A majority approved of doing this again. A suggestion was made to do Ten Days of Giving or something similar.
- Updated EPNA logos in vertical and horizontal arrangements were introduced and voted on.
- Drawing was held for the two $100 “baskets” of $25 gift cards for local businesses. Renewed memberships got one entry into the drawing, new memberships got two entries into the random drawing. The winners were Megan Lombear and Catherine Larson.
- Membership numbers went up from 38 last year to 105 at the time of the drawing. Mention was made and appreciation noted for Gregg Shimanski who paid for EPNA memberships for all his tenants.
Officer Election results:
- EPNA’s new treasurer will be Alex Swenson.
- EPNA’s new secretary will be Zack Brewer.
- EPNA’s new co-chair will be Cooper Talbot. Tom Running is the other co-chair and his term was not up this year.
- Congratulations and welcome to all new officers.
- Alder Abbas gave an update. He proposed a $50,000 amendment to the city budget to fund homeless outreach which passed. There was another budget amendment of $3.2 million for a homeless shelter as Warner Park Community Recreation Center is at capacity.
- Jeff requested $50 for wildflower seeds for the open space at the intersection of Commercial and McCormick. This is part of a joint effort by EPNA, Friends of Starkweather Creek, and City Engineering to improve this area which will be called Starkweather Legacy Park. Amendments to Jeff’s original motion were made. Motion made and approved to authorize a $50 payment for wildflower seeds as well as to strongly urge the group to include EPNA in signage and to memorialize Carl Landsness who was involved in Friends of Starkweather Creek before his death.
- Motion made and approved to extend the meeting by ten minutes.
- Erika has begun installing the butterfly sculptures at the intersection of East Johnson and East Washington.
- Greenspace committee update that spring bulbs have been distributed and will be planted this fall.
- There is a possibility that a roundabout will be installed on North Lawn for the new apartment complex.
- It was pointed out that the December meeting is usually short and afterwards people go to a local establishment for beverages. Since this is pandemic time, a suggestion was made that people bring their own beer to the December Zoom meeting.
- Alder Abbas noted that the County is looking for someone to temporarily fill county supervisor Paul Rusk’s spot from December to April. In April there will be an election to fill his seat.
- Motion to adjourn was made, seconded, and approved.
Meeting adjourned at 7:38 PM.